These are my rules. This is how I operate. Contributions welcome.
- Be wary of anything that feels like addiction
- I use “Cheat Days” for Web Surfing, drinking caffeine, eating junk food, sitting, etc: Pick one day that you are allowed to break your rule, all other days avoid it.
- Eat nothing out of the box. No sugar, bread, or pasta. Avoid artificial sweeteners. No fruits. eat real foods you enjoy, to prevent you from eating crap. Eat very very large meals on occasion, like Sunday Feasts, while other times skipping meals.
- No moderate exercise sessions,
- Very long walks, with occasional sprints.
- No purely aerobic exercise.
- Resist people movers. Embrace stairs, avoid elevators.
Don’t take the car to get on the treadmill. Treadmills are cheap/free on craigslist. Use that instead of sitting at a desk.
- Go for a walk without your phone.
- If you don’t feel like doing anything, do the mundane stuff, like doing the laundry, eating healthy meals, taking your vitamins, taking a cold shower, going for a run. Stretch out and deep breathing. Try breathing “behind the shield.” Practice good posture.
- Use Music, meditation, and exercise to reset mood.
Learning and Selective Ignorance
- Prune the daily consumption of these “news” sources from your life: magazines, podcasts, TV, newspapers, web surfing.
- Beware of the advice that someone gives you; just copy what they actually do.
- Learn subjects you’re naturally curious about.
- If you’re rushing or listening to music while learning - it suggests that there’s a better way to do it.
- As soon as a book starts to bore you, switch.
- Read old books.
- ACquire as many books as you can possible own.
- Learn what you can use immediately.
- Assume you’re wrong.
- Once a day write down everything that’s on your mind.
- Keep a daily diary and topic journals.
- Walk 1-2 hours in the afternoon.
- Resist Comforts
- Own minimal possessions.
- Have backups.
- Choose the plan that let’s you change your plans.
- Put your name
- Share what you learn after you learn it.
- Come up with new ideas everyday.
- Always be grateful.